Like humans, dogs need deep, restful sleep to feel energized and fresh during the day. Although there are times when you and your dog will want to cuddle together on the sofa or even catch a nap on the bed, the majority of pet owners agree that giving them a quality dog bed of their own is a smart move – for everyone.
A Good Reason to Nest For Dogs
Dogs are descendants of wolves, animals that have always lived and thrived in dens. It is no wonder that many breeds feel a need to burrow under blankets or snuggle against pillows when they are resting. Some dogs sleep better when they have the peace of mind that they cannot be intruded upon or surprised from behind.
Today, dog beds are available in a vast array of colors, styles, and sizes. From simple pillows to raised dog beds with stairs to nesting beds to bolstered cubes to therapeutic foam cushions, you can find the perfect mattress for your canine buddy with a little bit of patience and research.
Specially Made for Your Dog
Before you purchase a bed, ask yourself the following questions:
- How big is your dog?
- Do you want him to have a cozy bed that he can “hide”?
- Do you want the one that will allow him to stretch out?
- How about one that meets both needs?
- What space do you want to devote to the dog bed?
- What type of fabric do you want the bed to have?
- Do you want it to match your furniture?
- Would you prefer a washable or a removable cover? If you choose a removable lid, consider buying an extra one for times when the original body is in the wash.
- Do you want to be able to take the bed with you when you travel? For example, will it fit in the car?
- Do you want to be able to use it outdoors?
- Does your dog have any medical conditions such as arthritis that would benefit from an extra thick cushion or memory foam to conform to the dog’s body shape, weight, and warmth?
- Do you want a cedar filled bed?
- If so, are cedar replacements available?
- What’s your budget, the dog bed?
If you are overly concerned about how the dog bed will look in your home, you may be pleased to know that several designer-brand beds are available. For example, there is a line of dog beds made from washable velvet and faux-suede designed by William Wegman. And there are also miniature “sofas” with overstuffed cushions that are adorable, whimsical additions to any living room or parlor. Ideally, the perfect dog bed will add something-not subtract-from a room’s overall decor.
Benefits of a Dog Bed
A dog bed is a gift for everyone, not just your dog! Providing a private place for your pet to sleep, you are guaranteeing that both of you will rest in the morning.
What is more, a dog bed can act as a training tool. Let’s say you are planning a dinner party, and you do not want your guests to be distracted by your puppy. Train him to stay on his bed during meal times and reward him for his excellent behavior.
If you have chosen the dog bed wisely, there is no reason your pet won’t be happy to hang out in his particular spot while you are busy with other things.